The Teatro Grande in Brescia was established in 1640 from Accademia degli Erranti. It became suddenly the most important theatre of the city: the most important opera singers and musicians, both Italian and international, performed on this stage. In 1912 was declared as National Monument and in the ’70 was considered one of the 23 theatres (nowadays 28) of National Interest.
Nowadays, Teatro Grande organises one of the most important dance season in Italy.
TEATRO GRANDE – SALA DELLE SCENOGRAFIE
This room is a huge place located at the last floor, precisely above the main stage. In the nineteenth century was part of the original structure of the theatre. There, the scenes were designed and assembled. The room was renovated and converted; it is an evocative place thanks to the view on the main stage.
The history of the Teatro Sociale is linked to the family of Luigi Guillaume, a nobleman escaped from Lyon during the French Revolution and settled in Brescia. In 1903, the theatre was bought by a group of enthusiasts who renamed it as Teatro Sociale. The most recent works of renovation started in 1986 and finished with some interruptions in 1996; nowadays, the theatre is the residence of the Teatro Stabile di Brescia and can host six hundred people.
How to get to the teatro sociale.
TEATRO SANTA CHIARA/MINA MEZZADRI
In the Seventies, the Compagnia della Loggetta, which became Centro Teatrale Bresciano, converted the former Church of Santa Chiara in a theatre. Since then, the theatre became an important cultural benchmark in the city. The main room hosted a lot of shows produced by the CTB and written by eminent directors. The theatre reopened in April 2013, after a renovation, and it is dedicated to the director Mina Mezzadri.
How to get to the teatro Santa Chiara Mina Mezzadri.
The building was erected for the Martinengo Colleoni di Malpaga family during the XVI century. The renovating works, based on Alfonso Torregiani’s project, made the palace one of the most beautiful Baroque building in the city. Afterwards, the ownership passed to the Baebler family and then to the municipality which decided to convert it into the Courthouse until 2009, when the Court has been moved to the new Justice Palace. Since 2015 hosts BREND, Sistema Brescia Expo 2015.
How to get to the Palazzo Colleoni-Brend.